It’s the beginning of a new year and many people have already made the resolution to lose weight. Most people think they need to get down to their high school weight to feel successful. One of the main reasons we should be at a healthy weight is because it can improve all kinds of health problems we could be having or may potentially develop.
The majority of experts believe if you would just lose 5% – 7% of your body weight you would see and feel the health benefits. For example, a person weighing 200lbs would have to lose 10lbs to start to feel the difference.
Here are some health benefits of losing weight:
- Ease Pressure On Joints – An extra 10lbs of weight adds 40lbs of pressure.
- Prevent Type 2 Diabetes – According to the American Diabetes Association website, losing weight can help improve your blood glucose, blood pressure, and cholesterol.
- Ease High Blood Pressure – Extra body weight makes your blood push harder against your artery walls which in turn makes your heart work harder.
- Stop Sleep Apnea – People who are overweight gain extra tissue in the back of the throat. As your body relaxes, that tissue can block your airway.
- Bring Down Inflammation – Fat cells around the belly can release chemicals that inflame tissues all over the body. This is linked to arthritis, heart disease, heart attack and stroke.
The best way to lose weight is to have a well-rounded diet. Some tips for doing so are making half of your plate consist of fruits and vegetables, keep your protein lean, and replace your refined grains with whole grains. Include exercise in your weight loss journey as well. Make sure to get at least 30 minutes of some kind of activity a day and before you know it you will be enjoying the benefits of a healthier body!