6 Reasons to Say Yes to the Fitness Test
Most of us use weight as our only way of determining if we are fit.
Did you know there are a lot of other ways to assess your fitness level – and weight is usually the last one your trainer will use? Most fitness programs you do should start with some kind of assessment.
There are a variety of different assessments: body fat, measurements, pictures, flexibility, strength, cardiovascular health, cholesterol, and blood pressure.
What are the Goals of Fitness Testing?
- To highlight the strengths and weakness of an athlete
- To evaluate a training program, to see if it is helping the athlete in achieving set goals
- To measure fitness levels following injury, illness, or following the off-season
- To assist in setting goals
- To determine health status (in the non-sporting population)
- To aid motivation
Think of your first assessment as a starting point. This is where you are starting, but not where you’re staying – so forget about it. This also lets you see how far you have come!
By: Jill Spradlin