Rawhide Chew Sticks are Bad for Pets

February 2, 2015

You strive to be the best dog owner around so you pick up a rawhide chew stick for your pet. A tasty treat, and they clean their teeth. Win, win. While you may think you’re doing something nice for your pooch, you need to be aware of certain dangers listed below.

Rawhide chew sticks bad for pets


Chew sticks are long and narrow. If pets gnaw their way through the middle, it’s left with two smaller pieces. Pets could wind up swallowing one of those sections — and potentially choking — if they’re overly excited about devouring their treat.


Even if a big chunk of rawhide manages to make it down your pet’s esophagus safely, it can swell up in the belly or intestinal tract. In the worst-case scenario, your pet can suffer from a blockage and not be able to go to the bathroom. Your vet could have to get your pooch in for surgery right away to remove the obstruction.


Rawhide chew sticks are made of dried up animal skins, which undergo a lot of processing to remove any animal hair. The use of chemical treatments, like hydrogen peroxide and sodium sulfide, can potentially be harmful for your pooch in large doses if they eat chew sticks regularly.

So when you’re thinking of your pets dental health, be sure to explore other options – like regular cleanings – than just rawhide chew sticks.