With summer quickly approaching, many of us will be seeking a place to escape, recharge and unwind. Some of us will jet off to an exotic location, some will enjoy their weekends at the lake – and many of us will just be find solitude in our own comfy homes. Wherever this summer takes you, I encourage you to read what you want to read and when you want to read it!
Here are my top 10 apps for leisure reading.
- Books – 23,469 Classics To Go – This app will allow you to download as many of these classics as you want, free of charge! This app even automatically saves your place in the book.
- BeeLine Reader – This app makes reading faster and easier by using a color gradient that guides your eyes from the end of one line to the beginning of the next. The average reading speed increase is over 20 percent!
- Kindle – You can get access to over 3,000,000 books and audiobooks, including over 850,000 Kindle exclusive titles. Choose from magazines, books and newspapers.
- Instapaper – When you find an interesting web page you’d rather read later, save it to Instapaper then read it wherever, whenever, even without an Internet connection. Simply install the app and it will speedily download your unread articles when you have Wi-Fi or mobile data coverage, so that you can read them anywhere, anytime, in a format optimized for your particular device.
- DC Comics – The home of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman – DC Comics has a pretty good app that’s free on both theApp Store and Google Play, through which you can buy all the issues you want.
- Zinio – Browse over 6,000 digital magazines in the world’s largest newsstand or read fresh articles daily for free.
- 301+ Short Stories – Maybe you aren’t in the mood for a novel but would like a quick short story fix. Well, this is the app for you. From fantasy to ghost stories to Charles Dickens to Oscar Wilde, this app has it all.
- Seuss Treasury – Don’t forget that the kiddos need to stimulate their minds this summer, as well. This app has over fifty Dr. Seuss classic books in one app!
- Gutenberg Project – Live from Project Gutenberg with last-minute update, more than 40,000 most important books ever published in history. Plus more than 6,000 human-read audiobooks.
- Bible – On more than 180 million devices around the world, people are reading, listening to, watching, and sharing the Bible using the number one rated Bible App — completely free. Over 1,000 Bible versions – in hundreds of languages. Hundreds of Reading Plans, in over 40 languages. Add your own Verse Images, highlights, bookmarks, and public or private notes.
By: Monica Simmons