Recipes for Worker Bees: Part 1

April 18, 2017

From the desk of our Business + Industry Management Department: 

Ask someone how they are doing these days and they will most likely answer in one of two ways: “tired” or “busy.”

I’m a worker bee too, but I’m not willing to sacrifice my health in the process. I value exercise, healthy food, and plenty of sleep like the average person but all of those things take time.

That is why I wanted to share my favorite easy and healthy recipes for all of my fellow worker bees out there. Here are two of my favorites:

Tabouli: Making this mediterranean dish from scratch is time intensive. However, an Oklahoma-based company that has been making tabouli for 40 years.  They have their own package of tabouli made from dehydrated ingredients called the Steakhouse Taboli mix and you can pick it up at Walmart. Unlike most packaged products, it comes with very low sodium and no preservatives or additives.

This super healthy, cheap, and easy recipe makes a TON of tabouli for about $5 dollars. $2.00 for the mix and another $2.00-$3.00 for the tomatoes, cucumber, and lemon. Use a food processor to chop the vegetables, mix with water, and you are all set! The preparation takes about 10 minutes and I eat on it the entire week.

• For vegetarians: pair it with hummus, cheese, and olives for a high protein meal. You can also make a wrap and add in stir fried peppers, onions, and mushrooms for a hearty meal.

• For meat eaters: Eat this with thin slices of marinated chicken, and hummus and pita bread on the side. You can even pack all those ingredients it in a pita for a meal on the run!

Taco Bowl: This is one of my #1 meals. It’s so simple, cheap, healthy, and satisfying! You’ll need black beans ($1.00), Avocado ($.60), Salsa ($.50 worth), Greek Yogurt ($.50 worth), Tortilla Chips ($.10 worth).

Take cooked black beans and heat them in a small pot. Add taco seasoning and heat until hot. For meat eaters you may also choose to mix in some prepared ground beef (I normally cook ahead of time and freeze so that I take out what I want as I want it).

While that is warming, take a fresh avocado and mash in a bowl. You can add lemon or lime, salt & pepper, but I typically leave it plain since I’ll so many other spices. Once the beans are heated through, add them to the bowl with the guacamole. Add some plain greek yogurt (it is an amazing sour cream substitute) and salsa. Crush 5-6 tortillas chips over the top and enjoy!

Some may choose to add cheese or use sour cream instead of greek yogurt. Note that if you do, you’ll be adding in another 200 or so calories that you won’t miss when you flavor everything well. Enjoy!

If you have other “worker bee” recipes, let me know at kbarnett@communitycarecollege.edu! We’d love to feature yours as well!